Search This Blog

Monday 29 July 2013

New MegaSquirted m110 in a 280 SE

I while ago I was contacted by a person who had read this blog. He had a 280 SE -82  (w126) with the same m110 engine as in my car and asked me if I could help him to replace the engines fuel and ignition system exactly as I have done.
I invited him and last week he drove about 400 km to get some help from me to do the same. Before he visited me I asked him to do all the manufacturing and also mount the oxygen-sensor which shows the exact Air/Fuel ratio (AFR) while engine is running.

I only had my own engines AFR values from before I changed fuel system, so I was very curious how rich or lean his engine were running...
He filled up his gas tank before he drove to me and filled it up again when he came here.

1.22 liter/10km which is more than OK but he told me that he had been ”Eco-driving” the whole way and never had a measured a better fuel economy.

His AFR value while cruising the highway was as lean as 16.3 which surprised me because I've mapped my mixture to stay between 15 -15.5 when cruising. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT) he never got under 13 which in my opinion is way to lean. I have as rich mixture as 12.5 at WOT. I could notice that my car have much better acceleration than his car but with so lean mixture it was expected.

Unfortunately he didn't get his fuel rail in time so we only replaced the ignition in this first step but prepared everything for the fuel system swap. As soon as he was home again he called me and told me that his fuel consumption was 10% lower and this time he had really driven the car with high speeds and lots of kick downs.  He said that it was a totally new growl from the engine, much more responsive than before. This is exactly the same result I've got when I replaced my ignition system and at least 10% lower fuel consumption.

So now he waits for the fuel rail to be manufactured so that he can complete the rebuild.

I thought it could be interesting to know that it is possible to get a higher mileage and it wasn't only my engine that got good results from the swap...

Distributor disabled
New six coil

280 SE

Adapter for trigger wheel

Trigger sensor

Tuning...

20 comments:

  1. Hello, Peter! I'm frans-c on Benzworld.org. After studying your in-depth project, I decided to do the same with my W123 280E (I have the 5-speed Getrag transmission on mine). However, I'm going to use a local engine management manufacturer, called Spitronics for the CPU. However, I think it's very similar to the Megasquirt system. I've started my tread on Benzworld - I'll probably ask your help from time to time ;) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know if you need the latest ignition/fuel map.. It's a good starting point to start tuning your engine from... I will follow you on Benzworld, send me an PM and I will give you my email if you have any question not worth mentioning on the forum thread.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Email address removed by me...

    Hi, Peter. I've come to realise that my fuel rail is too much out of specification - drilling with a simple drill press doesn't result in very accurate centre-to-centre distances. I'm going to ask a proper engineering shop to fabricate one for me.

    I want to find out if you could possibly supply me with dimensions for the U-shaped brackets to attach the fuel rail to the cylinder head. I've modeled mine with Solidworks based on some simple measurements I took yesterday - I just want to see if I'm within specification.

    Then, I see you fabricated a mounting "tube" to attach the trigger wheel. How does this setup work? Do you perhaps have its dimensions for me too?

    My email address is xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com if you rather want to reply via email.

    Dankie!

    Frans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter,

    Great post on Benzworld.org about your megasquirt install. I'm new to megasquirt and I have a Datsun 260z carburated and I'm putting a 78 280z fuel injected engine that I want to Megasquirt to control the EFI and ignition control. Do you mind if I ask your advice while im doing my conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE 280SE AND WANNA SETTUP FOLLOW YOUR PROJECT TO EFI.. I NEED YOU HELP FOR ANSWER MY QUESTION...MY EMAIL: dungvo@beevina.com

    hope you reply me soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly what do you mean? A picture when the Air filter is removed? There are lots of pictures showing the engine without any airfilter amoung the pictures here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Professional Mercedes w126 perfomance! so along time too busy, i had looking back your project on benzworld.org and now i decided follow you to upgrade my 280SE to EFI with megasquirst ECU. too many question for my car to apply this project. my email is vohungdung@hotmail.com would you please to send an email to me to regconize together first. thank you very much!

      Delete
  7. Jack... I've send you a mail...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I have a 280 m110 and I am in the process of installing the mega.
    I could give me the configuration, so I see the values ​​to start and then adjust.
    angel_coletta@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Olá, sou do Brasil e sou apaixonado por Mercedes Benz desde pequeno, tenho uma W126 280se 1982 ela funciona muito bem com o sistema original, minha dúvida é gostaria de um sistema de ignição que melhorasse a performance, quanto preciso investir?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peter,
    Its taken me a long time but I now have a M110 in a 280CE almost up and running. I am having trouble with getting it to start properly. Would you mind sharing your megasquirt file? My email is erikvndnbrg@hotmail.com
    Thanks very much
    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Peter,
    Luke here. Ive just picked up W116 280s that I used to own years ago. Thanks for sharing this great build!
    I,m busy hunting out the parts for a triple SU Mod.
    I was wondering if you knew somewhere to source higher lift cams for this motor?

    ReplyDelete
  12. try: http://dkubus.com/?product_cat=engine-performance-tuning

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Peter,

    Jaydee out in South Africa. I have a w114 280e(d-jet) and w126 280se (k jet) both m110 straight 6 engines of which I would like to convert to efi, then electronic ignition.

    I've been searching for a while now, just over 2 years and I stumble upon injectors to use, the fuel rail diameter, fpr size and the pump.

    My email is bbdconsortium@gmail.com.

    Regards

    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Peter.
    I am in the process of tuning the be table on my ms system.
    I had a lot of problems with idle tuning, it hunts up and down by 100 rpm.
    I was using a pwm idle valve but I have returned to using the idle screw and k jet warm up valve for more air when cold.
    Could you email me your ve table and injector settings? I am using 211 cc injectors.
    Thanks.
    I have a W108 which I fitted the M110 motor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I removed your comment containing your email... I will contact you via email..

    ReplyDelete